Search for song titles, background info on our music, and more:

Thursday, November 27, 2008

First Book Club Meeting

You might have noticed that I changed the date of our first American history book club meeting in my last post. I realized that mid-December was pretty soon to ask everyone to have a big book read, especially with all the holidays.

Our meeting is now set for mid-January. It looks like there will be at least one in-person meeting, possibly two. A lot of folks on parent yahoo groups in Ditmas Park and Park Slope have expressed interest so I might have a meeting in both neighborhoods. If you'd like to be part of one of these neighborhood groups, e-mail me at thedeedledeedledees@yahoo.com. We will also have an online discussion option for non-Brooklyners -- ideas on how to do this? IM? Twitter? Skype?

Our first book is The Defining Moment: FDR's Hundred Days and the Triumph of Hope by Jonathan Alter so I'd like everyone to start looking for songs, images, and other interesting creative works from the FDR era. Our meeting, as I've already mentioned to some of our prospective members, will not feature a typical book club discussion. Rather, it will be a singalong of songs that people in FDR's day might have sung + a workshop during which we'll create new songs, visual works, and other materials that we can use to teach kids and other adults about what we've read. Instruments of all types, visual arts materials, and food and drink will all be welcome and encouraged.

I remain
your obt svt,
Lloyd (Ulysses S. Dee)